Ah, the infamous edible brownie. I think a good portion of folks have experienced the statement “I think I ate too much." But why do the effects of cannabinoids feel more amplified than regular smoking? Well when you smoke a joint for example, the cannabinoids enter your blood through your respiratory system. The effects are felt within 1-5 minutes and can last anywhere from 1-3 hours. However, when you consume cannabinoids in edible form it enters the bloodstream through your digestive system, which breaks down cannabinoids differently than smoking. Once consumed it passes through the digestive tract where the cannabinoids are absorbed by the stomach. The cannabinoids are then metabolized in the liver and because of this, the effects are stronger and longer. Because the edible has to take a journey through digestive tract and liver before getting absorbed into the bloodstream, it takes more time for the cannabinoids to reach your brain. But once it gets to your head expect longer lasting and stronger effects. Think 45-60 minutes for onset and 3-4 hours to feel the edible.
Now that you know how edibles work in the body, let us get into this delicious CBD brownie recipe from Chef Derek featuring hhemp.co OG Kush.
Elevated Chocolate Brownie with macerated cherries and scratch made whip
1/3 c olive oil
½ c unsweetened cocoa
1 1/2 c sugar
2 large eggs
½ c flour
2 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
1 sprig rosemary
1cup cherries no pit
1 cup heavy cream
2 tbls powdered sugar
10.5 g OG Kush ground CBG flower
10.5 g = 10,500 mg x 9.22% CBG = roughly 1000mg CBG
1000mg divided by 16 portions = 62.5 mg per serving
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 220-degree oven, place 10.5g ground CBG flower on lined baking sheet for at least one hour. Make sure not to burn, looking for a toasted color.
- In mason jar, place decarboxylated flower and half cup oil, seal tight. Place in sauce pot and fill with 2 inches water. Simmer on low for 1 ½ hr. Use cheese cloth to ring out all oil and separate solids.
- In medium bowl, combine infused olive oil and cocoa and 1 cup sugar. Stir until fully combined and sugar is dissolved. Add eggs one at a time with 1 tsp vanilla, lightly stir. Add flour and salt. Stir until combined well.
- Spread in greased baking pan. Bake for 20-22 min or until center is almost set. Let cool.
- In mixing bowl place rough chopped cherries and ½ cup sugar. Mixing completely. Set in fridge to sit and macerate.
- In separate bowl add 1 cup heavy cream. Whisk vigorously until heavy cream starts to thicken. Add powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla. Continue to whisk until desired thickness. Serve and enjoy.